Basic Conference Information for those who have not attended
SMRI conferences are a learning experience, and an excellent opportunity to meet industry experts and make new contacts and friends. Locations are selected for field trip possibilities, ease of transportation access, reasonable cost, adequate conference facilities, proximity to members and prospective members, and predicted interest in the location.
Format of conferences is usually the same: optional class, 2 days of tech papers, optional field trip:
- Technical class Sunday is optional.
- SMRI business meeting Monday morning is members only.
- Research Report presentation, if any, follows business meeting, is open to all attendees
- Technical papers on various topics, usually about 20 papers presented over 2 days.
- Field trips are optional, on Wednesday.
- Spouses/friends events are optional.
- All attendees must be pre registered and paid before registration closes.
Before you can register for a conference, you must be in our database
Conferences are normally held 2 per year, Spring in North America and Fall in Europe.
Non-members are always welcome to participate in conferences.
Members receive lower registration prices and have early registration priority.
Conference registrations fees are kept to a minimum to encourage attendance.
Recent conference attendance has ranged from 200 to 300 tech delegates
Sponsorship contributions for each conference allow us to host a welcome reception and keep fees low.
For the final details, always see the Conference Announcement (Spring 2017 Conference menu tab has this and all current information).
Most Recent Conferences:
- Completed 25-28 September 2016, Fall Conference, Salzburg, Austria, (Technical Class subject was Elements of Rock Mechanics related to Salt Caverns, repeated from Spring 2016) 152 tech delegates were registered, 45 people took the Tech Class, and field trips to Südsalz Berchtesgaden salt mine and Salinen Austria Hallstatt salt mine were outstanding.
- Completed 24-27 April 2016, Spring Conference, Galveston Texas, USA, (Technical Class subject was Elements of Rock Mechanics related to Salt Caverns, to be repeated Fall 2016 in Salzburg) 288 tech delegates were registered, 100 people took the Tech Class, and a field trip to Mt Belvieu and Moss Bluff hosted by Enterprise Products and Spectra Energy, and second field trip to NASA- Houston were well attended and appreciated.
- Completed 28 - 30 September 2015, Fall Conference, Santander, Spain (50 delegates participated in the tech class Salt Geology, same as was presented in Rochester) 170 tech delegates attended the conference. one field trip visited historic Poza de la Sal, and a second field trip toured Solvay's Torrelavega brine and chemical plant.
- Completed 26-29 April 2015 Spring Conference, Rochester, NY, USA (technical class subject Salt Geology); 250 tech delegates registered, 100 people took the tech class, 78 participated in underground salt mine field trips hosted by American Rock Salt LLC and Cargill Deicing Technology rock salt mines.